by TeacherLem Iglesias
Project Title: ‘Ceramic Masks’
Created by: Primary 3L and 3J
Age: 8-9 years old
- Motivate the students using African Masks as inspiration — Lead a discussion about the different kinds of African Masks, their meanings and the type of patterns being used. Here’s a helpful guide > CLICK THIS.
- Show the kids how to do the Basic Hand Building methods — Demonstrate each one to them. Here’s how > CLICK THIS.
- Let the students experience how to create a Clay Mask — Guide the students on the step-by-step process. Here’s a helpful video > CLICK THIS.
- To make the clay ‘Slab’ — Rolling Pin, Wooden Guide
- To avoid the clay from sticking on the table – A4 sized piece of Cloth
- To smoothen the clay or attach pieces together – Water and barbecue sticks
- To cut and slice the clay – Ruler or Fishing Line / Thin Plastic Wire
- To create texture — Popsicle Sticks, Barbecue Sticks
Sources / Click the BLUE LINKS:
- African Masks – http://u.osu.edu/gordon.3/files/2012/06/Sui-Huang.pdf
- Hand Building Methods http://www.lakesidepottery.com/HTML%20Text/Methods%20of%20Handbuilding.htm
- Creating a Clay Mask – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyHhHlnKQFw